Slow Cooker Chicken and Tortellini Soup
Tortellini is already stuffed with a ﬂavorful ﬁlling, so your dish is that much fancier without any extra effort. Feel free to experiment by subbing out the cheese-ﬁlled tortellini with chicken-ﬁlled tortellini, tricolored, or something new!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10-12 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Kosher salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 6 cups chicken broth, low- sodium preferred
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces prepared cheese tortellini
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place the celery, onion, carrot, parsley, basil, and the bay leaf in the slow On a work surface, mash the minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of the salt together to form a paste; sprinkle over the vegetables. Lay the chicken pieces on top and pour the broth over all. Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken pieces and shred or chop. Return to the slow cooker. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Add the tortellini, cover, and cook for an additional 15–20 minutes, until softened. Remove the bay leaf and garnish with parsley. Serve.
Keywords: chicken, tortellini, soup, slow cooker