Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
A hearty, yet fresh soup is just what you need for the cool spring evenings. Mushrooms, carrots, celery stalks and more come together for a wonderful blend of flavors. Try this wild rice soup for a light and creamy dinner staple.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 1x
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 celery stalks, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 onion, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup half-and-half
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, carrots, celery, and onion and cook over medium-high heat. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften and the onion is translucent. Add the chicken broth, mushrooms, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Add the wild rice, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender but still chewy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add in the chicken and half-and-half; stir for 3 minutes to heat through. Remove from the stovetop and remove the bay leaf. Let cool for 3 minutes and serve.