Broccoli Cheese Soup
Hearty and of course cheesy, this soup is the answer to a cold afternoon. Get your veggies in while still enjoying the indulgent cheesy goodness that makes this soup so wonderful.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (10-ounce) packages chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and thyme. Stir and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the broccoli and then sprinkle ﬂour over everything. Stir to combine and cook until all the ﬂour has been absorbed. Slowly pour the broth over the mixture and stir to combine and smooth any lumps. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the broccoli is tender. Stir in the cream and cheddar cheese. Remove from the heat, taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Remove the thyme stems, ladle them into bowls, and serve.