Classic European Borscht Soup
Fresh or canned beets are the staple ingredient in this traditional borscht. Earthy and sweet, this soup is a must-try this fall.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 leek, sliced and rinsed well
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups jarred beets, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups thickly sliced red cabbage
- 1–2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Chopped fresh dill, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until it begins to soften.
- Add the carrots and leek. Stir in the broth, potato, and beets. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish the soup with a dollop of sour cream and some dill. Serve.