The best part about this soup is how incredibly creamy it is. I use 2% milk to make it a bit lighter, but if you want something richer, feel free to use whole milk instead. I also recommend using hot sausage over mild, just to give the dish a kick.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Soups
- 1 pound hot or mild bulk Italian sausage
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound baby yellow potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- In a large pot, brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink and season with salt and pepper. Drain the excess fat from the pot.
- Put the sausage, onion, garlic, broth, and potatoes in a 6-quart slow Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours, or on High for 2 hours.
- About 45 minutes before serving, combine the ﬂour and milk with a whisk until Stir into the soup. Cover and continue cooking until the potatoes are cooked and the soup has thickened slightly.
- About 5 minutes before serving, turn the slow cooker off and stir in the spinach. Let the spinach wilt slightly.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Keywords: zuppa toscana, soup