Black Bean Soup
The ﬁery addition of poblano peppers and jalapeños ratchets up the heat index of this soup, which is soothingly tempered by the smooth sour cream topping. If you’re up to the challenge, leave the seeds in the peppers when you chop them for an even spicier touch.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Soups
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 4–5 cups vegetable broth
- To serve
- Lime wedges
- Shredded mozzarella cheese Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, bell peppers, carrots, poblano, jalapeño, garlic, black beans, tomatoes, salt, black pepper, cayenne, oregano, paprika, chili powder, cumin, bay leaves, and broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Just before the end of cooking, remove the bay leaves and mash up some of the beans.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with limes, mozzarella, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
Keywords: black bean, bean, soup