Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
I was never allowed to leave the dinner table until I had eaten most of the veggies on my plate— maybe you can relate. While there were some veggies that I dragged my feet on (hello, green beans!), I barely even noticed that recipes like my grandma’s split pea soup were chock-full of them.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 (16-ounce) bag green split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more if needed
- 2 cups cubed smoked ham steak
- 5–6 cups chicken broth
- Lightly spray the insert of an 8-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Layer the split peas, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and ham steak in the slow cooker. Stir to mix.
- Add 4 to 5 cups of the broth to cover the ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 6 to 7 hours on High, until the peas are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Add more broth if needed and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Keywords: slow cooker, split pea