Hearty Southwest Chili
This is my go-to recipe for Sunday night football and tailgates. How could you ever go wrong with a combination like chili and cornbread, plus a cold beer? What I love about making chili is serving it up to a crowd. Set out a big pot along with sour cream, scallions, and cheese on the side and let your friends serve themselves, encouraging seconds and thirds until the pot’s empty.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can pink pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup water, plus extra as needed
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet chili seasoning
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Cornbread, crumbled
- Combine the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper in a large soup pot and cook over medium heat until the beef is no longer pink. Drain any fat. Add the pinto beans, black beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with chiles, water, and chili seasoning. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Serve with sour cream and cornbread.
Keywords: southwest, chili, southwest chili