Chicken Tortilla Soup
Frozen corn allows you to make this soup any time of year. If you’d rather substitute fresh corn from the cob, you may. I used red and black tortilla strips to top the soup since they’re just so colorful, but you can use sliced ﬂour or corn tortillas if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire- roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce (see Note), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (2-pound) rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Avocado, sliced, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, chipotle, salt, and black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, beans, corn, and lime Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is heated through and the veggies are tender.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with lime juice, cilantro, and avocado and serve with tortilla chips.
- The chipotle in adobo provides even more spice. Feel free to omit it for a milder heat. The remaining chipotles and sauce in the can freeze very well.
Keywords: chicken, tortilla, soup, chicken tortilla soup