Need a quick, healthy, and tasty snack? These sausage and scallion egg bites are perfect when you need to eat on the run. Put them in the oven while you’re getting ready, packing the kids up for school, or doing something unheard of like sitting down with a cup of hot coffee and the newspaper. Before you know it, you’ll have a filling and delicious breakfast muffin.
These certainly taste great, but one of the reasons I love them is because of my garden. Sometimes it seems like my herbs just take off overnight and don’t stop. All of the sudden I have an over-abundance of the parsley, basil, oregano, and scallions that I need for this recipe. A short stroll to the garden and I have what I need.
Of course, you can use dried herbs, too. I’ll often do that in the winter, either with herbs I’ve dried myself at home or the trusty store-bought variety. Certainly, using dried herbs is quicker than chopping fresh herbs, so if you’re in a hurry, there’s nothing wrong with doing this the easy way!
It’s worth mentioning that you aren’t required to take these on the go. They’re actually a nice way to feed a small group or a good option for something a little out of the ordinary. They also work as a great side for a big breakfast with pancakes or French toast. And don’t worry if a little maple syrup makes its way to the edges of your muffins. It’s a quite lovely taste combination!
Now then, who’s ready to enjoy some breakfast?Print
Sausage & Scallion Eggs to Go
Here’s a great way to make breakfast for a gang or for when you need to grab a quick snack. These muffin-sized egg bites are quick and easy to make, and perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack time—almost any time!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 3 cooked sausages, sliced or chopped
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese (delicious, but not essential)
- 2 scallions, chopped (more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners. (If you have silicone muffin liners, those work great, too.)
- Break sausage into smaller pieces by running a food processor on pulse until the meat is more the consistency of cooked ground beef.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the sausage, cheese, scallions, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and (optional) red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Fill muffin liners evenly with the egg mixture.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, until the top of the egg “muffins” are a golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite side dish.
- Freeze leftovers for a quick breakfast.
Have you tried this recipe? Did you serve it as breakfast, lunch, or dinner? There are so many ways you can tweak this recipe to make it your own. Please tell us how this recipe turned out for you.