Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
Yes, stuffed peppers are typically made for dinner. But you ﬁnd bell peppers in omelets and breakfast skillets, so why can’t you change the format of the ingredients to make a breakfast version of stuffed peppers? Plus, you get even more veggies than you normally would with each serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Breakfast
- 3 large red or yellow bell peppers (or a combination of colors)
- 1/2 pound ground turkey sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–2 red potatoes, peeled and finely diced (1 cup)
- 1–2 sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 large eggs, whisked together
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat Colby Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice the peppers in half through the top of the stem. Remove the seeds and interior membrane. Rinse and dry the peppers. Place cut-side up in the baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, cook the sausage for about 3 minutes, until fully cooked. Remove to a large
- Wipe out the skillet, add the olive oil, and warm over medium-high heat.
- Add the red potatoes, sweet potatoes, and shallots. Then add the garlic, Italian seasoning, thyme, salt, and black Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the potato mixture from the heat and add to the bowl with the sausage. Mix in the maple
- Fill each pepper three-quarters full with the sausage and potato mixture.
- Add some of the whisked egg to the top of each of the peppers.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the eggs have set.
- Sprinkle each pepper with the Colby Jack cheese.
Keywords: stuffed peppers, peppers