Here’s a yummy breakfast bowl with an infusion of cinnamon that also supplies plenty of protein and fiber. Customize the basic bowl ingredients with any or all of the suggested toppings—or choose your own. A delicious, nutritious way to start the day!Print
Cinna-Vanilla Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Here’s a yummy breakfast bowl with an infusion of cinnamon that also supplies plenty of protein and fiber. Customize the basic bowl ingredients with any or all of the suggested toppings—or choose your own. A delicious, nutritious way to start the day!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2
- Category: Breakfast
- 1/2 cup uncooked white or golden quinoa
- 1 cup almond milk, or other milk of choice
- 1 to 2 cinnamon sticks
- Piece of a vanilla bean, or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Diced peaches
- Maple syrup
- Extra splashes of milk
- Extra spices (such as nutmeg)
- Rinse and drain the quinoa.
- Place it in a small saucepan and add the almond milk, 1 to 2 cinnamon sticks, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a high simmer, cover, and reduce heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes. (Tip: Don’t walk away, if it starts bubbling, turn the heat off, give it one stir mid-cook if you need to, and resume).
- After 15 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and let the quinoa sit for 5 more minutes or until the almond milk is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. Taste and add additional spices to your liking.
- Scoop the quinoa into two bowls and top with toasted almonds, toasted coconut, and fruit. Serve with maple syrup if you like. Enjoy as a fluffy pilaf, or as more a porridge with warm almond milk poured on top.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s a great way to start a weekend morning. Please tell us how it turned out for you.