Salads are mostly served as sides, but they can be just as filling as any main dish when you’ve got the right combination. This is particularly true if you’re making this delicious and satisfying Quinoa, Brussels Sprouts, and Strawberry Salad.
Now, I know what you’re thinking — that’s not really a combination you see every day. Believe me, there’s a lot to enjoy with this refreshing, hearty salad!
What makes this dish truly satisfying is the fluffy but mildly flavorful quinoa. It’s got that mellow, nutty taste that perfectly complements the sweet, juicy, and fruity goodness of fresh strawberries. Not to mention quinoa is also the go-to ingredient if you want an alternative to rice.
With shaved Brussels sprouts, you get a versatile ingredient whose natural bitterness is tempered to a more pleasant degree. Meanwhile, the bite-sized avocado chunks give your Quinoa, Brussels Sprouts, and Strawberry Salad that creamy texture, and harmonizes the earthy taste of kale with the rest of the ingredients.
The real MVP of this dish is the dressing: a mix of lemon juice, olive oil, honey, garlic powder, some fresh parsley, and — of course — salt and pepper. The thick and syrupy sweetness of honey combined with the fresh tang of lemon juice has always been a match made in heaven. Garlic powder and parsley add an extra punch with their earthy and slightly peppery flavors. Salt and pepper further bring out these rainbow of flavors while olive oil mixes them all together with its light but distinctly olive undertones.
What could be more lip-smackingly satisfying than that? Whip up a big batch of this Quinoa, Brussels Sprouts, and Strawberry Salad if you’re craving a light but supremely filling meal!Print
Quinoa, Brussels Sprouts, and Strawberry Salad
An extraordinary combination, this Quinoa, Brussel Sprouts, and Strawberry Salad makes for a colorful and supremely filling dish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shaved
- 5 cups kale, chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put quinoa and water into a small pot, and cook over medium heat until it reaches a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until quinoa is cooked and water has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shaved Brussels sprouts, chopped kale, cooled and cooked quinoa, sliced strawberries, and avocado chunks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, honey, garlic powder, fresh parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour lemon dressing over salad and toss until well coated.
- Serve immediately.
Have you tried this Quinoa, Brussels Sprouts, and Strawberry Salad recipe? It’s so easy and so refreshing—you won’t even realize how healthful it is! Please tell us how it turned out for you.