If you’re tired of the more conventional salads and want something simple yet special, this Double Pea and Feta Salad might just satisfy your craving. Sugar snap peas and English peas share the center stage in this recipe, giving you a doubly delightful dish.
The two types of peas are also what gives this salad its distinct texture. The plump, crisp pods of sugar snap peas easily make this a crunchy snack. Meanwhile, the shelled English peas offer a sort of playfulness to the dish, making it a treat to savor.
I often hear a lot of people confusing sugar snap peas for English peas because of the way they look. A good way to tell them apart is to remember that sugar snap peas have thinner and smaller pods. When making this salad, it’s important to differentiate between the two since you can’t eat the pods of English peas. I mean, you can, but they’re not as pleasant.
What I also particularly like about this recipe is the refreshing taste of mint leaves. It reminds me of spring! Throw in some feta cheese to bring all the flavors together. One thing to note about feta cheese is that feta made from sheep’s milk will have a richer, more buttery flavor. Feta made from goats, on the other hand, has a harder texture and a milder flavor. For this Double Pea and Feta Salad recipe, I would recommend sheep’s milk cheese feta if you want to indulge in a more luxurious taste.
For last-minute potlucks with my family or if I want to invite my cousins over for an impromptu lunch, this Double Pea and Feta Salad certainly never disappoints!Print
Double Pea and Feta Salad
This simple Double Pea and Feta Salad sings spring with a classic combo—peas and mint. The creamy, mildly briny feta cheese melds beautifully with the other flavors.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- 1 pound sugar snap peas
- 2 1/2 cups English peas, shelled – fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup mild feta cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil; add sugar snap peas and green peas. When water returns to a boil, cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until sugar snaps are crisp-tender.
- Drain in a colander; refresh under cold running water. Drain peas well (blot with a paper towel).
- Place peas in a large serving bowl with remaining ingredients except feta and pine nuts; toss until coated.
- Gently stir in feta and pine nuts (if using).
- This is the perfect dish to serve for lunch on the porch or to take to a potluck.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s such an attractive, filling vegetarian salad—please tell us how it turned out for you.