Are you feeling extra adventurous today? If you are, then I have just the recipe that will add more spice — quite literally — into your life: Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad!
Perfect for serving to guests on a lazy, summer afternoon, this delicious salad is bursting with flavor and packed with protein. This tasty salad has just the right kick of spice to get your tongue dancing for more. The secret is in the marinade, which is a mix of fresh lime juice, taco seasoning, vegetable oil, and — believe it or not — tequila! It’s a strong and flavorful combination that works particularly well with chicken breasts, which are really receptive to robust flavors. Grilling the chicken breast slices doesn’t just enhance the hearty flavors of the marinade, but it also gives your protein a slightly crisp texture and a smokiness that’s hard to resist!
It doesn’t stop there though: this Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad isn’t a salad without some greens. More than just an appetizing addition, the refreshingly light and crispy iceberg lettuce tempers the spice of the chicken with its subtle sweetness. Alongside it are the complementary crunch and sweetness of corn and tomatoes. Black beans give this salad a bit of a kick and a mildly creamy mouthfeel.
Of course, this protein-packed salad wouldn’t be complete without jalapeños! Bright, earthy, and with a little heat, jalapeños give your grilled chicken salad an added depth that’s characteristically and wonderfully Mexican.
Mix up all the flavors and get ready to have a fantastic fiesta in your mouth! Every day is a celebration when you have the Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad.Print
Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad
Get ready for a fiesta of flavors in your mouth when you taste this Mexican Grilled Chicken Salad!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Marinade Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- Marinade and Chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomato 1 (11-ounce) can
- Southwestern-style corn with peppers and black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the marinade and chicken: Combine the vegetable oil, taco seasoning, tequila, and lime juice in a zip-top bag. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally and open like a book at a 1/2-inch thickness. Add the chicken to the zip-top bag. Close the top and use your hands to thoroughly coat the chicken with the marinade. Let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or chill until ready to cook.
- Prepare an outdoor grill or heat a stovetop grill pan over medium- high heat. Lay the chicken on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through. Thinly slice the chicken.
- For the salad: Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl with the chicken and stir to combine.
- Dish into bowls and serve.
What are your thoughts on a salad with some spice? Do you keep the heat or do you prefer this salad without the jalapeños?