Homemade Caesar Salad
While it may be easy to just grab a bag salad, premade croutons, and store-bought Caesar dressing, this recipe for your own homemade version will only take you 15 minutes and it’s worth it! Toasting your own croutons and making your own dressing is easy and the resulting salad is a crowd pleaser.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- 1 loaf crusty bread, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1–2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 anchovy fillets
- Juice of 1–2 lemons
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried, and torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Freshly ground black
- pepper (optional)
- For the croutons: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cubes are golden.
- For the dressing: Fill a small saucepan with enough water to cover the egg and bring the water to a boil. Add the egg. Turn off the heat and let the egg sit for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the egg.
- In a blender, combine the garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, anchovy ﬁllets, and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- While the blender is running, add the olive oil a bit at a time until emulsiﬁed.
- Add the coddled egg, black pepper, and red pepper ﬂakes and process until thick.
- For the salad: Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Add the dressing, using only enough to lightly coat the lettuce, and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and top with the croutons.
- Add a few grinds of black pepper and serve.