As the weather cools down and the leaves are falling or gone from the trees, I start thinking about how to update winter salads and meals with some seasonal flavors. One of my favorites is apple cider vinaigrette dressing. It’s perfect for fall salads, but can also add a delicious kick to chicken or pork dishes.
The technique I like to use for all my salad dressings these days is incorporating macerated shallots. Guaranteed, the last time you had a to-die-for homemade vinaigrette in some swank restaurant, the recipe for that vinaigrette began with macerated shallots in vinegar of some type. I don’t know why, but thin-sliced shallots and vinegar are always the start of something beautiful. The vinegar takes out the punch and leaves the flavor. That’s why when I wanted to make an apple cider vinaigrette, I knew exactly where to start.
What could be better than a delicious, healthy winter salad dressing that is easy to make and takes just a few minutes? This apple cider vinaigrette is perfect for fall and winter, but can be enjoyed all year long. It’s got a nice tartness from the apple cider vinegar, sweetness from the maple syrup, and a bit of bite from the Dijon mustard. Best of all, it’s made with just eight simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen! Give it a try—I promise you won’t be disappointed.
And let’s not forget the salad either: leafy greens, apples, candied nuts, and goat cheese—you can’t go wrong! I also made a how-to video for making this dressing, check it out!Print
Winter Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing
This sweet and tangy apple cider vinaigrette dressing made with fresh shallots is drizzled over a winter salad of crisp iceberg lettuce, sweet apples, candied walnuts, and tangy soft crumbled chèvre.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3/4 cup 1x
- Category: Salads & Dressings
For the salad:
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup red apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
For the dressing:
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly into rounds
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Ground pepper
- Add your chopped lettuce to a serving bowl. Top with candied walnuts, chopped red apple, and crumbled goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, add your thinly sliced shallot rounds, top with apple cider vinegar, and mix. Let sit and macerate for at least 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a separate bowl combine Dijon mustard, honey, olive oil, and lemon. Whisk together until combined.
- Add shallot mixture into the dressing and mix until combined. Add a pinch of salt and a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle over the salad, using as much or as little as you like. Enjoy!
This Winter Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing is amazing for lunch all on its own, but you could also serve it next to grilled or roasted chicken as a delicious tasty side.
Will you make this Winter Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette Dressing? Let me know in the comments!