One of the advantages of cooking with quinoa is that it adapts to most any cuisine. This hearty salad uses spices and ingredients that will make you think you’re in your favorite Indian restaurant. This will become your new go-to salad when you want to impress!Print
One of the advantages of cooking with quinoa is that it adapts to most any cuisine. This hearty salad uses spices and ingredients that will make you think you’re in your favorite Indian restaurant. This will become your new go-to salad when you want to impress!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- 1 cup quinoa (red, white, or mixed), rinsed
- 2 cups + 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon jalapenochopped (adjust based on how spicy you like your food)
- 2 cups cauliflowercut into one inch florets
- Saltto taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (or less) red chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin powderseparated
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beanscanned or pre-cooked
- 1/2 cup peas,frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cilantroroughly chopped
- 10 cashewsroasted and split into half lengthwise (optional)
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat. Turn off heat and let quinoa sit for another 15 to 20 minutes. Do not lift the lid.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a 12-inch skillet with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Toss in the onion, jalapeno, and a pinch salt. Stir often and let cook until the onions soften and start to turn brown. About 10 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower, turmeric, chili powder, cumin powder, salt, and half cup water. Stir. Cover and cook until the cauliflower softens. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add in the garbanzo beans and peas. Stir.
- Mix in the cooked quinoa.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder. Whisk it together well with a fork. Pour over the quinoa.
- Add the cashew halves and cilantro. Mix well and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy and should be a staple in your house—please tell us how it turned out for you.