Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8-10 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 pound ham steak, cut into bite-size cubes
- 4 ounces sliced Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- Sprigs of fresh thyme, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in the baking dish. Layer the ham over the chicken. Layer the Jarlsberg over the chicken and ham.
- In a large saucepan, melt half of the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the ﬂour to form a roux, being careful not to burn the mixture. When the roux is smooth, slowly whisk in the half-and-half. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir until the sauce is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, mustard, kosher salt, paprika, and white pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a low simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the casserole, making sure it covers all the corners.
- For the topping, melt the remaining butter in a medium microwaveable bowl. Stir in the panko, sea salt, and herbes de Provence. Sprinkle the mixture over the casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden and the casserole is hot.
- Garnish with thyme and serve warm.
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.