Creamy Coconut Milk Asparagus Soup
The use of coconut milk and coconut oil makes this an even sweeter dish than traditional cream- or milk-based soups. Whenever I’m on a health kick, I refer back to this recipe to keep myself on track with my nutrition goals. The coconut milk adds a creamy texture that pairs well against the sharp crunch of the asparagus.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, ends snapped, cut into ½-inch pieces, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, curry powder, and turmeric, stir, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth, stir, then add the coconut milk. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the lemon juice.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until it is completely smooth.
- Ladle into bowls, top with slivered almonds and extra asparagus stalks, if desired, and serve.