Creamy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded aged white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cauliﬂower, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the salt, and the pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden.
- In a large pot, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until tender. Add the thyme, rosemary, and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, then the cauliﬂower and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. (Alternatively, puree the soup directly in the pot with an immersion blender.) Return the pureed soup to the pot (if necessary), stir in the cheddar, and let it melt over low heat.
- Stir in the cream. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with the Parmesan and bacon, and serve.