Easy Quiche with Brown Rice Crust
This brown rice crust is a healthier departure from the typical buttery ﬂaky pastry. The crust recipe could even be repurposed when making pumpkin pie or savory tarts for a fun new twist.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled (see Notes)
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the rice, 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese, the Parmesan cheese, and 1 egg.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake for 7 minutes until the crust begins to brown.
- In a large bowl, beat the remaining 4 eggs with the herbes de Provence, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- After the crust has baked, lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Layer the broccoli, mushrooms, remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese, and scallions onto the crust.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until set and the top is golden.
- You’ll need about 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice to yield 2 cups cooked.