Best Beef & Barley Stew
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Soups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 carrots, diced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the beef, onion, mushrooms, and carrots and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the beef is browned.
- Add the broth, tomatoes with their juices, bay leaf, thyme, herbes de Provence, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the peas and barley. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes more, until the barley, is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf, ladle into bowls, and serve.