Shepherd’s pie, also known as cottage pie, is made out of meat and vegetables and topped with a layer of golden mashed potatoes. My mom used to make Classic Shepherd’s Pie Casserole for us when we were kids, especially around St. Patrick’s Day. I have fond memories of coming home from school and smelling the savory, comforting aroma wafting through the house. Even my picky sister liked it!
Nowadays, I make Classic Shepherd’s Pie Casserole for my own family. It’s one of our go-to comfort foods, and we always enjoy it. Classic Shepherd’s Pie Casserole is a dish with roots in England and Ireland. I’ve tried many recipes, but this one really puts the “classic” back into the dish.
There’s one thing that makes this dish so hearty: it’s layered with goodness and absolutely filled with healthy ingredients. The bottom layer is a mixture of meat and vegetables, the middle layer is usually mashed potatoes, and the top layer is cheesy and savory goodness. Plus, all of these ingredients are right from my own garden and kitchen!
It only takes an hour to make Classic Shepherd’s Pie Casserole, and it’s an hour well spent because you’ll have a delicious, comforting meal that everyone will love at the end.
Traditionally, Irish Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb, but you can also use beef as I have in this recipe. I find that it’s a bit more flavorful, and my kids prefer it. You could also use ground turkey if you want a slightly leaner option.
No matter what type of meat you use, Classic Shepherd’s Pie Casserole is sure to fill you up and leave you satisfied. It’s the perfect comfort food for a night when you’re in the mood for something hearty and delicious.Print
Classic Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
This Classic Shepherd’s Pie Casserole is packed with flavor: meaty, cheesy, savory, and healthy, it hits the spot no matter what you’re hungering for!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated mashed potatoes, or homemade
- Fresh sage for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly coat a 7 × 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add the sirloin and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Drain any excess fat and return the meat to the pan.
- Add the mixed vegetables, tomato paste, salt, and pepper; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are hot. In a small bowl, whisk the broth and ﬂour together. Add the broth mixture to the beef mixture. Heat to boiling; cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the beef mixture; ﬂuff with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown. Serve, garnished with fresh sage leaves if desired.
Keywords: shepherd's pie, casserole
What did you think of this Shepherd’s Pie recipe?