Cheesy Croissant Casserole
If you’re looking for a more savory feel for your Christmas morning breakfast, then this croissant casserole is the way to go. Our recommendation is to pick up some freshly baked croissants from your local bakery (or even make them yourself!) to really capitalize on the rich flavor combinations.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Setting Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 13 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 7 large croissant sandwiches 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 7 croissants
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 14 thin slices deli ham
- 7 slices Swiss cheese
- 10 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Slice the croissants, spread each one with mustard, and fill them with the ham and cheese. Shingle the croissant sandwiches into the casserole dish.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl, add the milk, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Pour over the sandwiches and cover the dish with foil. Weight the top with a plate or cookie sheet to submerge the sandwiches in the egg mixture and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, covered with the foil, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Serve.
- It’s all about the croissants! If you can find some at a local bakery, the superior quality and freshness will certainly shine through.
- Variations: Spice the sandwiches up with pepper jack cheese or add a touch of sweetness with honey Dijon mustard.