In this month’s Food Gardening Magazine, you get everything you need to know about planting pear trees at home—with varieties for almost every hardiness zone around the country. Whether you’re planning to plant pyrus communis or pyrus pyrifolia—or both—we’ll help you find the variety that will suit your situation and your preference as perfectly as possible. Learn about the different kinds of pear trees so you can pick the perfect pears come harvest time!
Learn about the two basic types of pear trees to grow for fruit, and why you should avoid certain types of ornamental pear trees. Explore the classic Bartlett pear tree, and take a look at pear tree varieties you may not have considered for your property. It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the possible choices, so we’ll help you choose the best tasting pear tree—depending on your preference.
You get all the tips, techniques, and advice about how to plant and maintain promising pear trees. We’ve got you covered when it comes to sorting out the types of pear trees you can consider planting!
Plus, you get specific advice about the best time to plant pear trees, the best fertilizer for pear trees, and what to watch for in a blooming pear tree.
This collection about pears is your #1 guide for being the best pear tree grower you can be! You should refer to this collection whenever you have questions about your pear trees—from planning to planting and from maintaining and nurturing to harvesting and reaping the rewards in your kitchen.
First, you get a complete Introduction to Pears—including some history and basics about pears. Did you know that some pears grow well in containers? So even if you’re tight on space, you can grow a potted pear tree and enjoy fresh fruit. Did you know that pears do better in pairs? Go figure! (Hint: It’s all about the pollination.) Did you know that pears first appeared in Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey, and that the ever-popular Bartlett pear is not what it seems? You’re going to learn a lot about pears!
Then, you get Feature Articles about Pears that include:
- Types of Pears Plants—learn which pears ripen on the tree, and which you pick early and ripen later. And find out how you can get the best of both pear worlds with a tree that’s as pretty as its fruit is delicious!
- Pear Trees as Ornamental Nuisances—once upon a time, some growers developed a pear tree for its appearance. Find out how that one choice changed things, and not in a good way.
- Picking the Right Size Pear Tree—rootstock and scion explained! You can’t reliably grow a pear tree from seed, so learn how to choose the right variety of tree to get the type and size of tree you expect.
- Training and Pruning your Pear Trees—pear trees can grow pretty tall—if you let them. Find out why pruning is a positive thing for your tree, and when the best time is to plan to prune.
- Pairing Up Pear Trees for Pollination—you’ve probably heard of some trees that are self-pollinating; pears are not among them. Learn the best pollination strategy for a healthy harvest.
- Pear Trees by Size and Form—pick the type of tree that suits your needs and your space. No need to force a pear tree into a particular size; there are plenty of varieties available, from dwarf to standard and cordon-trained to espalier. Expand your pear horizons!
- A Word About Planning Your Pear Use-When deciding which types of pears you want to plant, use this checklist to discover the varieties best suited for your needs. Get this list now.
- Choosing to Grow Pears from Seeds or Seedlings-Should you consider starting your pears from seed? We say “no”…and find out why when you read this article. Start with saplings, and get specific advice about how to grow pear trees without trying your patience!
- Growing Pears in Open Land, in Containers, or in Raised Beds—you have a lot of choice when it comes to picking the growing site for your pear tree. It all depends on the variety and the space you have available.
- Starting with the Right Soil for Your Pear Trees-What soil pH level is best for your pear trees? What natural items can be added to soil for boosting the health of your pear trees? And when is the best time to plant pear trees? Get all the answers when you read this collection on pears.
- The Right Sunlight for Your Pears—pick a spot with lots of sun that won’t be prone to frost at night, and you’ll have happy pear trees. Just make sure you hit that magic sunlight number-of-hours every day, and your trees will be fine.
- Should You Fertilize Your Pear Trees?—knowing when, how, and whether to fertilize your pear crop is essential to a successful harvest. Plus, specific guidelines on keeping your pear trees feeling healthy and productive.
- How—and When—to Water Your Pear Trees—as in all things, balance in the key. Here are the best methods for ensuring your pear trees get just the right amount of water in the right way.
- Picking the Perfect Pear—some pears ripen on the trees, and others don’t. Learn how to bring in the perfect pear harvest depending on the type of pear trees you have.
- How to Spot, Treat, and Prevent Pear Diseases and Pest Infestations—tips to ensure that your pear plants don’t suffer from common plant diseases and harmful pests. It’s better to prevent than treat—get tips for both, just in case.
- Post-Harvest Pear Crop Infections—some fungal infections attack your pears after you’ve picked them. Learn how to ward off the attackers.
- Essential Tools and Equipment for Growing Pears—get the full list of essential gardening tools and equipment for growing and enjoying pears … and for almost all of your gardening needs.
Next, this premium collection highlights fourteen popular pears varieties—ten European and four Asian—to help you choose the varieties you want to grow—this is just a sampling of the many varieties available:
- Anjou Pear
- Bartlett Pear
- Bosc Pear
- Comice Pear
- Harrow Sweet Pear
- Kieffer Pear
- Moonglow Pear
- Orient Pear
- Red Clapp’s Favorite Pear
- Red Sensation Pear
- Chojuro Pear
- Hosui Pear
- Nijisseiki Pear
- Shinseiki Pear
And all your pear-gardening efforts are more satisfying when you have quick and easy-to-make recipes, to ensure your harvest is enjoyed by everyone you serve at your home. Food Gardening Network is all about providing delicious recipes for making yummy dishes. Try these recipes and enjoy your pear harvest:
- Pear Crisp
- Spiced Poached Pears
- Vanilla Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce
- Pear Jam
- Fruit Leather
- Chocolate Pear Cake
Next, you’ll learn all about the health benefits of pears with Nutrition Facts about Pears and Home Remedies & Health Benefits of Pears. Learn about all the wonderful and beneficial attributes of pears—including cancer prevention, gut and heart health, skin and hair health, and better blood circulation.
And to be sure you have everything you need to grow your own pears, we’ve included a Resources about Pears section—so that you can easily find additional tools and information about pears.
Finally, our Pear Glossary section gives you the explanation of key pear-gardening terms and concepts—so, you’re up to date about important pear-gardening ideas.
Check out this premium collection now—Picture Perfect Pear Guide—All You Need to Know About Growing, Harvesting, Cooking, and Eating Delicious Pears—and you’ll really learn everything you need to know about pears!
Laura Logan, Norann Oleson, Victoria Arnold, and Samantha Pulcherz contributed to the creation of this collection.