Pears and chocolate are a perfect combination. This cake is so good, you can serve it as dessert or bring it out for breakfast.Print
Chocolate Pear Cake
Pears and chocolate are a perfect combination. This cake is so good, you can serve it as dessert or bring it out for breakfast.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and chopped into large pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×9-inch square pan.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-size bowl.
- Melt the butter and chocolate—in the microwave or on the stove over low heat. Stir to mix.
- Transfer the melted butter/chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and use an electric mixer or a whisk until the mixture lightens in color.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and continue beating to combine ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk, alternating between the two, until the cake batter is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking pan and put the chopped pears on top of the batter. (You can also mix the pears into the batter before you pour it into the pan.)
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out mostly clean and the cake bounces back when touched lightly.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
Have you baked this cake? Do you like it for dessert or breakfast? Please tell us how it turned out for you.