Fresh pear jam tastes like home. Spread it on bread, drop a dollop on ice cream, or pair it up with some flavorful cheese. (Note: if you have canning supplies, now’s the time to get them out.)Print
Fresh pear jam tastes like home. Spread it on bread, drop a dollop on ice cream, or pair it up with some flavorful cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooling Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: Makes 8 half-pint jars; 8 servings per jar 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 4 1/2 cups mashed ripe pears
- 3 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 7 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 8 half-pint canning jars, with lids and rings
- Combine pears, fruit pectin, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and lemon juice in a large heavy pot. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture has reached a boil, stir in all the sugar and bring back to a full rolling boil for one minute. Mix in butter; this will settle the foam.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
- Pack the pear jam in the sterilized jars, filling them to within 1/4 inch of the top.
- After the jars are filled, run a knife around the inside of each jar to remove air bubbles. Wipe the jar rims to remove any residue. Seal jars with lids and rings.
- Put a rack in the bottom of a deep stockpot and fill it halfway with water. Bring the water to a boil; lower the jars into the water, leaving 2 inches between them. Add boiling water as needed to keep the water level at least one inch above the tops of the jars.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. Cover the pot and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the pot and put them on a towel-covered surface to cool.
- When they’re completely cool, press the top of each lid to ensure the seal is tight.
- Store jam in a cool, dark place.
- If you have canning supplies, now’s the time to get them out.
Have you made this jam? It’s perfect on toast or with a peanut butter sandwich—please tell us how it turned out for you.