Everything’s better with chocolate! If chocolate is more your thing, this is a perfect way to satisfy your chocolate craving while serving up a beautiful, elegant dessert.Print
Vanilla Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce
Everything’s better with chocolate! If chocolate is more your thing, this is a perfect way to satisfy your chocolate craving while serving up a beautiful, elegant dessert.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Additional Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 4 medium pears, peeled (leave the stem on)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce (4 squares) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon coffee flavored liqueur
- 4 maraschino cherries for garnish
- Leave the stems on the pears. Sprinkle them with lemon juice to keep them from browning. Set aside.
- Choose a saucepan large enough to hold all your pears upright.
- Combine water and sugar. Place over medium heat and boil until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the vanilla, and reduce the heat.
- Gently place the pears in the liquid. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the liquid cool. Drain liquid and keep pears ready.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the chopped chocolate, cream, and butter. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from heat and stir in the coffee liqueur.
- Place pears in serving dishes, pour chocolate sauce over them, and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s a great way to finish your dinner party with a flourish—please tell us how it turned out for you.