Apples, take a back seat; it’s time for pear crisp! This is a delightful dish—even without ice cream!Print
Apples, take a back seat; it’s time for pear crisp! This is a delightful dish—even without ice cream!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 4 Bartlett pears (or Bosc, Kieffer, or Orient)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a baking dish (9×13-inch works well).
- Peel the pears and cut them in half. Scoop out the core and seeds.
- Slice the pears lengthwise in pieces a little more than 1/4 inch thick.
- Put the pears in a large bowl with the vanilla extract; toss to coat.
- Add 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus the nutmeg and ginger, and toss again to coat the pears.
- Transfer pears to the buttered baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the butter and all the remaining ingredients. Mix well until all the ingredients are blended with the butter.
- Spread the mixture over the pears.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the pears are tender and the top has browned.
Have you made this crisp? It’s such a comforting, homestyle dish—please tell us how it turned out for you.