Yummy Deep-Fried Matzo Balls
Matzo Ball Soup is a Hanukkah tradition, but if you want to change things up a bit try this deep-fried version. Paired with a red pepper jelly dipping sauce, these Matzo Balls make a great appetizer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 15 matzo balls 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red pepper jelly
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (2.25-ounce) packet matzo ball mix
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- Vegetable oil for frying, plus extra as needed for the matzo ball mix
- 2 large eggs, plus extra as needed for the matzo ball mix
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, jelly, and lemon juice. Mix well and then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare and roll the matzo ball mix according to the package directions, adding chives to the mix. The balls should be rolled to about walnut size. Boil the matzo balls according to the package directions and drain on paper towels.
- Add oil to a large pot until it measures about 1 inch deep and heat over medium-high heat until around 360 degrees F.
- Place the eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk. Place the panko in another shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Roll each ball in the eggs and then in the panko.
- Working in batches, add the matzo balls carefully to the hot oil and fry until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt to taste. Let cool slightly and serve with the red pepper dip.