Brussels sprouts have gotten a bad rap over the years. You could even say that it’s the boogeyman of veggies. Kids run away from them! It doesn’t help that these little round green veggies give off a nose-scrunching stink. When my girls were young, you wouldn’t see them anywhere near the kitchen when Brussels sprouts were on the menu!
Eventually, though, I got my daughters to appreciate this tiny cruciferous veggie. You’d be surprised to know that the secret to Brussels sprouts is actually quite simple: roasting!
You read that right: roasting is one of the best, if not the best, way to really bring out your Brussel’s sprouts’ nutty, caramelized flavor. Of course, serving Brussels sprouts alone isn’t going to win your wary audience, especially if they’re kids. The day I came up with this recipe, I was browsing through my pantry, trying to think of the perfect companion that would elevate the sweetness of roasted Brussels sprouts. I thought I was fresh out of ideas until I saw my daughters having a snack on the patio. They were eating apples!
It was a lightbulb moment: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples. It doesn’t just have a nice ring to it, but the subtle sweetness of roasted Brussels sprouts coupled with the inherent sweetness of apples proved to be the perfect formula. Olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice, along with a seasoning of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, give the dish that balance of heavenly caramelized goodness floating over earthy-citrus undertones. What’s even better is that roasting preserves the Brussels sprouts’ crunchy exterior and tender interior.
Ever since I discovered this pair, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples is a dish that’s become a family favorite — especially for my daughters! Quick, savory, and easy to make, this recipe will make it hard to resist this little veggie!Print
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples
An easy family favorite, the caramelized goodness of Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples is sure to please even the kids!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cleaned, trimmed, and cut in half
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks (about 3/4 inch)
- 2 sweet onions, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch (or so) of garlic powder (to taste)
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Put Brussels sprouts, apples, and onions into a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle bowl contents with olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder; stir to coat evenly.
- Arrange the sprouts mixture on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven until the sprouts are steamy and fragrant, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest, then pour the squeezed lemon juice over the sprouts mixture to serve.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy and delicious—please tell us how it turned out for you.