What a luxurious potato side dish this is! While it takes a bit of time to bake—so the potatoes are fully cooked through—your kitchen will smell glorious, and your taste buds will be delighted when you bite into this “elegant” potato dish. Serve as a side to meat or chicken or pork—this recipe will please everyone every time!Print
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- 2 fennel bulbs, fronds (the leafy top) removed, and cut into slices
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (try using a mandoline slicer for the most consistent thinness)
- 2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons, heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 10 x 15 x 2 inch glass baking dish.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a medium-size sauté pan, sautéing the fennel and onions together over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Place potato slices in a large mixing bowl with 2 cups of cream, 2 cups of Gruyère cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Add cooked fennel and onions to the potato mixture and mix well.
- Pour entire mixture into buttered baking dish, and press down lightly to even out.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of cream and 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, then sprinkle evenly on top.
- Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes in the pre-heated oven, until potatoes are tender and the top is brown and bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving hot.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s delicious and easy—how did it turn out for you? Please comment below.