Trieste Fennel is a variety of Florence Fennel—the type of fennel that grows a bulb for delicious cooking. Trieste Fennel is a bolt-resistant hybrid plant that is bred for tenderness and it tastes delicious when grilled or sautéed in a pan to maximize its sweetness.
Trieste Fennel is easy to grow and is a hardy plant—it can be grown in containers and started indoors, too.
- Grows up to 3 feet tall and 1 1/2 feet across
- Develops pale green oval or round bulbs at soil level
- Feathery dark green tops
- Can take up to six hours daily of sun, but not scorching heat
- Likes cooler temperatures and can even tolerate a light frost
- Moderate watering requirements
- Sweet anise-celery flavor
Do you grow Trieste Fennel? If so, please tell us what you love about it by commenting below.