Cantino Fennel is a variety of Florence Fennel—the “bulbing” type of fennel that is great for cooking. Cantino Fennel is a bolt-resistant plant that is good for early planting and has a long growing season. Try slicing the bulbs thinly for a salad or slaw. Roast the bulbs to caramelized sweetness for a terrific vegetable side dish. Or use the fronds as an herb-flavoring for sauces and soups.
Cantino Fennel is easy to grow and is a hardy plant—it can be grown in containers and started indoors, too.
- Grows up to 3 feet tall and 1 1/2 feet across
- Develops pale green oval or round bulbs at soil level
- Feathery dark green tops
- Likes a lot of sun, but not scorching heat
- Likes cooler temperatures and can even tolerate a light frost
- Moderate watering requirements
- Sweet anise-celery flavor
Have you tried Cantino Fennel? Tell us how it tasted to you compared to other varieties by commenting below.