Try chicken a whole new way! And it’s so easy—do it all in one pot or skillet. Who isn’t always looking for new tried-and-true chicken recipes that are easy and delicious? Welcome to One-Pot Chicken with Fennel and Tomatoes! You can even just serve this dish family-style right from the pot on a trivet on your table—clean-up is easier, too!Print
One-Pot Chicken with Fennel and Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 16 minutes
- Cook Time: 44 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1/4 cup, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb cut into uniform 1-inch bite-size pieces. Reserve fronds (the leafy top that is grassy-looking and dill-like) for the dressing. Discard the stalks (or save and freeze to make stock later).
- 2 medium red potatoes with skin on, washed and cut into bite-size one-inch cubes
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch round slices
- 1 lemon, 1/2 of lemon cut into rounds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pat dry both sides of chicken thighs to remove excessive moisture, and season all over (both sides) with salt.
- Use oven-proof skillet on the stovetop, and heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Place chicken thighs in hot oil, skin-side down, and cook for 10 minutes uncovered, until skin is crispy brown. Turn chicken pieces over with tongs and cook 8 more minutes uncovered on the skinless side. Transfer cooked chicken thighs to a platter, skin-side up.
- Increase skillet heat to medium-high and add sliced fennel, sliced shallots, cubed potatoes, and lemon rounds. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until fennel and potatoes begin to soften.
- Season skillet contents with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Arrange tomato rounds and chicken thighs in skillet on top of fennel mixture.
- Place skillet in oven, uncovered, to roast for about 20 minutes. When done, remove skillet from oven, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- While skillet is roasting, prepare dressing by chopping fennel fronds (the leafy, grassy, dill-like tops) and squeezing juice out of remaining 1/2 lemon.
- Whisk together lemon juice and fennel fronds in a small bowl, stirring in remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon dressing over chicken and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? How did this dish turn out for you? Please tell us in the comments below.