Martha Washington Candies
As the story goes, these candies came from Martha Washington’s recipe collection. Not these very ones, as I have made a few changes myself, but this type of candy was created years ago and has become quite popular around Christmastime. Whether true or not, I enjoy picturing Martha and George passing these candies around as their guests dined.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 candies 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick / 1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups melting chocolate wafers
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pecans and coconut in a food processor and pulse until ﬁnely chopped.
- Using a stand mixer ﬁtted with the wire whip or a handheld mixer and a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the milk and coconut-pecan mixture and mix until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into small balls and place on the lined baking sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to ﬁrm up.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate on 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Dip each ball into the chocolate coating using a fork, allowing the excess to drip back in the bowl when ﬁshing out with a spoon.
- Place on a sheet of parchment paper and continue dipping the candies until all are coated. Refrigerate until ready to eat.