Amish Chicken Casserole
Amish-style cooking has a good reputation, for good reason. With sizable gardens and home- raised livestock, the Amish take a home-grown, fresh, and simple—yet delightful—approach to meals. Peas and mushrooms combined with egg noodles and chicken are a perfect example of the simplicity of a meal that celebrates fresh produce and focuses on each individual ingredient.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken breast meat
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1∕3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the noodles and 1 teaspoon of the salt, and cook until al dente; drain and reserve.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir in the ﬂour, and cook for 1 full minute, until the mixture is beginning to color. Add the broth and stir until the sauce becomes creamy and thickens. Add the milk and cook, stirring for an additional minute. Season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and the poultry seasoning.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, mushrooms, peas, onion, and parsley. Add the noodles and sauce and toss well to coat. Spoon into the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Serve.
- To cook the chicken, place 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and shred.