Grapes are high in a number of powerful antioxidant compounds. In fact, over 1,600 beneficial plant compounds have been identified in this fruit. They help repair the damage to your cells caused by free radicals, which are harmful molecules that cause oxidative stress.
- Grapes contain high levels of unique and beneficial plant compounds, which may help protect against certain types of cancer.
- Studies have also found that grape extracts block the growth and spread of breast cancer cells, both in laboratory and mouse models.
- Compounds found in grapes may help protect against high cholesterol levels by decreasing cholesterol absorption.
- Grapes contain compounds that may have anti-inflammatory effects, which may protect against certain heart and bowel diseases.
- Though grapes are high in sugar, they have a low glycemic index (a measure of how quickly a food raises blood sugar). Additionally, compounds in grapes may protect against high blood sugar.
- Grapes contain several compounds, such as resveratrol, lutein, and zeaxanthin, that may protect against common eye diseases, including age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, and glaucoma.
- Grapes contain many nutrients important for bone health, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin K.
- Grapes contain several compounds that have shown beneficial effects against certain bacteria, viruses, and yeast infections.
- Resveratrol in grapes has been shown to activate genes associated with slower aging and longer lifespan.
Did you already know about the health benefits of grapes? Do you have any additional benefits or home remedies that use grapes? Please share them with us in the comments below.