In this month’s Food Gardening Magazine, you get everything you need to know about planting peas, growing peas, and harvesting peas—peas so delicious, you may wish you’d planted more! Once you’ve tasted fresh peas from your own garden, you may never be able to go back to canned or store-bought peas.
We’ve got you covered from planting through harvesting and cooking! We have all the tips for growing peas you need to start and maintain a delicious pea patch. Learn about trellising peas to give them the ideal support they need, so you have a hearty, healthy harvest.
Plus, you get specific advice about growing peas outside and inside—including growing peas in containers or planters; growing peas in raised beds—even growing peas in hanging baskets! Pick the perfect place to plant your peas!
This gardening guide about peas is your #1 guide for being the best pea gardener you can be! You should refer to this gardening guide whenever you have questions about your pea garden—from planning to planting and from maintaining and nurturing to harvesting and reaping the rewards in your kitchen.
First, you get a complete Introduction to Peas—including the history and background of this terrific fruit. Yes, peas are, botanically speaking, a fruit! Find out about the history of peas that reaches back centuries—all the way back to the Bronze Age! We’ll trace the progress of peas from the Old World to the New.
Then, you get Feature Articles about Peas that include:
- Types of Pea Plants—learn the difference between English peas, snow peas, and sugar snap peas, and which are the most common. And learn about dwarf and tall pea plants—and the pros and cons of planting them.
- Classifications of Pea Plants—learn about the two main classifications of pea plants: dwarf and tall pea plants. What are the pros and cons of planting each? Find out how to determine the best pea plants for your space, harvesting goals, and gardening style. Read this article.
- Choosing to Grow Pea Plants from Seeds or Seedlings—learn which growing approach is more likely to give you the successful pea harvest you’re looking for.
- Growing Peas in Open Land, in Containers, or in Raised Beds—everything you need to know about growing your peas on your property. Find out which type of planting approach is best for your needs and situation.
- Starting with the Right Soil for Your Pea Plants—get specific advice about the best soil for growing your peas—including the ideal way to prepare the soil for planting. Plus, get a list of companion plants—including the one plant family that definitely does not get along with peas!
- The Right Sunlight for Your Peas—beware the hot noon-day sun, and still ensure that your pea plants get just the right amount of sunlight with this advice. A little TLC goes a long way toward a healthy harvest!
- Should You Fertilize Your Pea Plants?—the good news is that peas need less fertilizer than some other crops. Find out how to give your pea plants a balanced diet for optimal growth.
- How—and When—to Water Your Pea Plants—watering your pea garden should be easy-peasy. Read here for more on when to water—and how much—all of your pea plants.
- How to Spot, Treat, and Prevent Pea Diseases—start with disease-resistant plants and you’ll have a happier harvest. Learn how to spot problems early to protect your plants—and how to treat them quickly if problems do turn up.
- Pea Aphanomyces Root Rot: How to Identify, Treat, and Prevent—get all the details about this common root rot that can really damage, even destroy, your pea plants. What does pea root rot look like, and what causes it? How can you control and treat root rot? Or, better yet, how can you prevent pea root rot in the first place? Get all the answers now!
- What to Do About Pests that Can Harm Your Pea Plants—pests can destroy your peas! Get tips on identifying pests before they harm your plants.
- The Right Way to Weed Your Pea Garden—the good news is that you may only need to weed early in the season. Find out how to keep the weeds away from your pea plants.
- A Word About Harvesting Peas—how you harvest depends on the type of peas you plant. Learn the best way to bring in a bountiful and delicious crop!
- Essential Tools and Equipment for Growing Peas—get the full list of essential gardening tools and harvesting equipment for growing peas … and for almost all of your gardening needs.
Next, this premium gardening guide highlights six popular pea varieties to help you choose the varieties you want to grow—this is just a sampling of the many varieties available:
And all your pea-gardening efforts are made more satisfying when you have quick and easy-to-make recipes, to ensure your harvest is enjoyed by everyone you serve at your home. Food Gardening Network is all about providing delicious recipes for making yummy dishes. Try these recipes and enjoy your pea harvest:
- Quick Sesame Snow Peas
- Double Pea and Feta Salad
- Pasta with Peas
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Peas and Artichokes
- Garlic Parmesan Sugar Snap Peas
- Quinoa Confetti Salad with Sugar Snap Peas
- Beef with Snow Peas
Next, you’ll learn all about the health benefits of peas with Nutrition Facts about Peas and Home Remedies & Health Benefits of Peas. Learn how long humans have understood the valuable nutrition and benefits of peas—and how you can use your own home-grown peas to eat and feel better.
And to be sure you have everything you need to grow your own peas, we’ve included a Resources about Peas section—so that you can easily find additional tools and information about peas.
Finally, our Pea Glossary section gives you the explanation of key pea-gardening terms and concepts—so, you’re never in the dark or confused about important pea-gardening ideas.
Check out this premium gardening guide now—The Easy Peasy Guide to Growing Pea Plants—All You Need to Know About Growing, Harvesting, Cooking, and Eating Delicious Peas—and you’ll really learn everything you need to know about peas!
Cate Prato, Norann Oleson, Victoria Arnold, and Samantha Pulcherz contributed to the creation of this gardening guide.