This will use up a lot of yellow squash if your harvest has been good. It satisfies a low-carb diet and tastes great too!Print
Low-Carb Yellow Squash Casserole
This will use up a lot of yellow squash if your harvest has been good. It satisfies a low-carb diet and tastes great too!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups peeled and cubed yellow squash
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped raw almonds
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or substitute milk for a lower-fat version)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped roasted, salted almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the hot oil-butter mixture until softened, about 3 minutes. Add squash, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer squash mixture to a large bowl.
- Mix raw almonds and 1/2 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese together in a bowl; stir into squash mixture. Whisk cream and eggs together in a measuring cup or small bowl; stir into squash mixture. Pour squash mixture into a 9×13-inch casserole dish; top with remaining Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and roasted almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is golden brown and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy and delicious—please tell us how it turned out for you.