Mama’s Best Sloppy Joes
There are plenty of store-bought solutions for sloppy joe mixes, but where’s the fun in that? Your family will love the way these joes taste and you can always tweak this recipe to be more tomatoey or less sweet each time you make it. Make it your own!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic (optional)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons bottled chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 hamburger buns
- Sliced sweet pickles (optional)
- Potato chips, for serving
- In a large skillet, crumble the beef and brown it over medium-high heat, breaking up any clumps, for about 3 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic (if using) and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes and their juices, the chili sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and salt. Add the tomato mixture to the skillet and bring the mixture to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low and partially cover the pan. Simmer, stirring once or twice, until the mixture begins to thicken, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.
- Toast the hamburger buns under the broiler until the cut sides are golden. Spoon the meat mixture onto the buns and garnish with pickle slices and potato chips to serve.