If you have a barbecue night, game night, or a weeknight dinner coming up, then you can’t just have any old hot dog. You’ll want some Grilled Sonoran Hot Dogs to make your special night one for the books!
Originally from Sonora in Mexico, Grilled Sonoran Hot Dogs are wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with delicious Mexican-inspired toppings. This traditional but unique hot dog recipe is super easy to make and even easier to enjoy!
For these hot dogs, you need all-beef hot dogs and thick-cut bacon slices to really enjoy the smoky, juicy flavor of grilled meat. You’ll know when it’s done when the bacon is delightfully crispy and cooked nicely through. To make sure that the bacon doesn’t accidentally unravel (since it curls up during the grilling process), a toothpick will do the trick in keeping them together.
The refried beans — which are creamy, slightly sweet, and delightfully earthy — will serve as a base sauce for your Grilled Sonoran Hot Dogs. These refried beans are spread at the bottom of each bun. But, it doesn’t stop there. Once the bun bottoms are nicely coated, it’s time to add your delicious bacon-wrapped hot dogs and top them off with a hearty sprinkling of banana peppers and cilantro.
Banana peppers are generally mild, even milder than the mildest jalapeños, so don’t hesitate to add a generous amount. This type of pepper is tangy and slightly sweet, offering a great balance to the pleasant saltiness of the bacon and hot dogs. Cilantro, on the other hand, gives your Grilled Sonoran Hot Dogs some added spice and a mild citrusy kick.
Of course, no hot dog is complete without the delightful trinity of condiments that is ketchup, mustard, and mayo. If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, you can even add other toppings like guacamole and pico de gallo salsa. Serve right away and dig into this amazing treat!Print
Grilled Sonoran Hot Dogs
Make your night extra special with these juicy, lip-smackingly good Grilled Sonoran Hot Dogs!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 4 all-beef hot dogs
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 (14-ounce) can refried beans
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup banana peppers, chopped
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (about 450 degrees F).
- Wrap each hot dog with a slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick if desired. Place on the grill and cook, turning often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a skillet and warm the hot dog buns in the oven or microwave.
- Spread a generous layer of beans in the bottom of each bun. Add a hot dog. Top with cilantro, banana peppers, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. Serve immediately.
- Add other toppings like guacamole and pico de gallo salsa.
Have you tried these yet? What is your favorite topping?