I’ve heard about Baklava, Custard-Filled Phyllo Pastry, and Honey Spice Cookies. I’ve also tried the Boiled Leafy Greens, Fried Greek Cheese, and other classic Greek recipes. Greek cuisine is rich and diverse, and I’m always discovering new delicious dishes. This Greek Yogurt Chicken and Cremini Mushroom Rice Casserole is one of my more recently discovered dishes.
I’ll admit, I was a bit skeptical when I first heard of this dish; I wasn’t sure how the yogurt would pair with a savory dish. However, I knew that Greek cuisine is incredibly nutritious, heart-healthy, simple, and unbelievably tasty. So who was I to say no to this dish?
I’m so glad I tried it. This casserole is now one of my favorite Greek recipes! The chicken is tender and juicy and the rice is cooked perfectly, but the real star of the dish is the yogurt sauce. It’s creamy and tangy, bringing all the flavors together.
Most of the casseroles I have made before are creamy because of cheese, but this Greek Yogurt Chicken and Cremini Mushroom Rice Casserole is different in a good way. The yogurt gives it a beautiful lightness, making it the perfect meal for any time of the day.
The most surprising part is it doesn’t take too long to make this dish. Use shredded chicken and you can have this dish on the table in less than an hour, including the cooking time! I remember the first time I finally perfected it; my friends thought I was up all night in the kitchen, sweating in front of a hot stove over this dish. Their jaws dropped when I told them the truth, and they bugged me for the recipe all day!Print
Greek Yogurt Chicken and Cremini Mushroom Rice Casserole
Mushrooms, rice, chicken, and Greek yogurt? Put them together in this Greek Yogurt Chicken and Cremini Mushroom Rice Casserole and you’ve got a dish that’s perfect for any night of the week!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese blend
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and browned, 10 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the ﬂour. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Add the chicken and rice and return to a simmer. Stir in the Greek yogurt; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to an
8-inch square baking dish. Top with the cheddar.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the mixture is warm for 15–20 minutes.
- Serve warm, garnished with parsley.
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
This might be one of my favorite savory meals. Have you tried it? What did you think?