30-Minute General Tso’s Chicken
This easy version of a favorite take-out menu staple includes fresh green beans for an added crunch and healthy addition. Ginger, garlic, and honey come together to make a mouth-watering chicken that you’ll make again and again
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 egg white
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced or grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Cooked white or brown rice, for serving
- In a medium bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of the cornstarch, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the rice wine, and the egg white.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon each of the cornstarch, soy sauce, and rice wine with ¾ cup of water, the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and ginger.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil over high heat. Add the chicken and cook on one side until golden, about 2 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook the other side for about 2 minutes, until golden. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- To the same pan, add the remaining oil along with the garlic. Cook for 15–20 seconds, until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add the green beans and cook for 3–4 minutes until bright green.
- Add the reserved sauce mixture, stir, and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 1 minute.
- Return the chicken to the pan, stir, and cook for an additional 1–2 minutes, until coated.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top, transfer to a serving dish, and serve with rice.