Quinoa Veggie Sushi Rolls
First time making sushi? This recipe is a great place to start! With just veggies, you take the guesswork out of using fish and the result is still delicious and a healthy way to get your veggies.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 scallions
- 1 carrot
- 1 avocado
- 4–5 nori sheets (see Note)
- Reduced-sodium tamari sauce
- Pickled ginger, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups water, the quinoa, and the sea salt over medium-high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower to medium-low heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked and all of the water is absorbed, remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar.
- Allow the quinoa to cool while slicing the scallions, carrot, and avocado into long thin strips.
- Place a nori sheet on a bamboo sushi mat and place about 2⁄3 cup of the quinoa in the center of the nori sheet.
- Wet the tips of your ﬁngers (you may wish to have a bowl of cool water nearby for this purpose) and press/spread the quinoa into a thin layer—working toward the edges of the sheet, leaving about an inch of sheet remaining on the edge farthest from you.
- Top with a thin row of scallions, carrots, and avocado slices.
- Moisten the far edge of the nori and use the bamboo mat to help roll the sushi.
- Set the sushi roll aside and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Once all of the ingredients have been used, slice the sushi rolls crosswise into even pieces and serve with low-sodium tamari soy sauce and pickled ginger.
- You can ﬁnd nori sheets online, or in the Japanese food aisle at your grocery store.