When the summer heat is in full effect, we get to enjoy the warm sun and fresh veggies all summer long, but my favorite crop to admire is my tomatoes. And when I really want to show off all the different cherry varietals I’m growing, I make this cherry tomato salad.
Not only will you be able to enjoy the fresh tomatoes in your garden, but this dish is quick and easy to make. I don’t know about you, but when it’s blazing hot outside, the last thing I want to do is spend hours slaving away in the kitchen trying to cook.
This cherry tomato salad is a favorite of mine for an easy lunch or dinner side — it’s light, refreshing, and perfect for hot weather. Plus, the vibrant colors make it look pretty too! I love this dish because it doesn’t take too long to prepare, and the ingredients are readily available.
Every time I make this salad, I can’t help but make some barbecue to go with it. They just pair really well. Yum! What I am saying is that you can add some of your favorite grilled meat on the side, and you’ll have a complete summertime meal that won’t melt away before you can eat it.
Most importantly, though, I love this salad because it goes with absolutely everything. It’s perfect on its own, but you could also pile it over some cooked rice noodles and julienned chicken if you’re looking for more substance (and veggies). You could also try adding some feta cheese; the saltiness is another great way to balance out all these flavors! (Oh, and if you don’t like olives, just skip them!)Print
Cherry Tomato Salad
Refreshing and colorful, this fresh cherry tomato salad recipe sparkles with homemade vinaigrette and is a great way to show off your harvest.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chilling Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1h 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- 40 Cherry tomatoes—washed, dried, and cut in half
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and sliced lengthwise
- 1 6-ounce can black olives, drained and sliced lengthwise
- 2 scallions or green onions, minced
- 3 ounces pine nuts, lightly toasted (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (if using fresh oregano, finely mince 2 teaspoons of fresh oregano)
- Parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper, seasoned to taste
- In a large bowl, combine Cherry tomatoes, green olives, black olives, and scallions or green onions.
- In a dry skillet, toast the pine nuts over medium heat until golden brown, turning frequently. Stir into tomato mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil and vinegar mixture over salad, and gently stir to coat everything.
- Chill for 1 hour and garnish with whole parsley leaves.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
Did you know that tomatoes are the most popular plant for home gardeners? With our Everything Tomato Gardening Guide, you’ll have everything you need to know about growing and enjoying this versatile food, from the history and background of the mighty tomato to specific advice on growing, harvesting, and enjoying your hard work! Check it out.
Have you tried this cherry tomato salad recipe? It’s so easy and delicious—please tell us how it turned out for you.