Fried Green Tomatoes
Yes, you can use red tomatoes for this recipe, too—but then it’s not “fried green tomatoes!” Serve these on a platter with a glass of iced tea while munching and sipping on your porch on a sweet summer night. This is a great way to use your Green Beefsteak tomatoes!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Sides & Sauces
- 4 large Green Beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 quart canola oil for frying
- Slice tomatoes ½-inch thick and discard the ends.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Spread flour out on a large plate.
- Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper on another large plate.
- Dip tomato slices into flour to coat.
- Then, dip tomato slices into milk and egg mixture; dredge in cornmeal and bread-crumbs mixture to complete coat.
- Heat ½-inch of canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Place breaded tomato slices in skillet in batches of 4 or 5. Don’t crowd the tomatoes; they should not be touching each other.
- When slices are brown, flip and brown other side.
- When done, remove and drain on paper towels.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy and is a southern classic—please tell us how it turned out for you.