Make this cool summer soup that’s full of protein any time of the year. This dish can be a starter course, or make it your main meal. Seafood and tomatoes—a perfect combination!Print
Salsa Seafood Soup
Make this cool summer soup that’s full of protein any time of the year. This dish can be a starter course, or make it your main meal. Seafood and tomatoes—a perfect combination!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes (includes chilling)
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons no salt added tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ pound cooked and chilled bay scallops or baby shrimp
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is translucent.
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, salt, and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil while stirring, until tomato paste is dissolved.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Transfer entire mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place mixture in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, whisk in Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and parsley.
- Serve by ladling into bowls and topping with bay scallops or shrimp and extra parsley for garnish.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy and makes for an impressive dish for your friends and family—please tell us how it turned out for you.