Avocado Chicken Salad
There are two quick reasons that this salad is heart-healthy:
Avocados are a healthy source of monounsaturated fats (shown to lower heart disease risk and lower levels of cholesterol) and tomatoes are high in the antioxidant lycopene, shown to reduce risk of heart disease and stroke. Salads can be a great way to introduce produce into your diet that will help you in the long run.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Marinade Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- Dressing and Marinade
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chicken and Salad
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce, plus a few leaves for garnish
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 bacon slices, cooked until crisp, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- For the dressing and marinade: Make the dressing/marinade by placing the honey, whole-grain mustard, Dijon mustard, garlic, and salt into a small food processor or blender. Blend and with the machine running, add the olive oil. Set aside.
- For the chicken and salad: Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to a ½-inch thickness. Place half of the dressing/ marinade in a large zip-top bag and add the chicken. Close the top and use your hands to thoroughly coat the chicken with the marinade. Let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or chill until ready to cook.
- Prepare an outdoor grill or heat a stove-top grill pan over medium- high heat. Lay the chicken on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through.
- In a large serving bowl, place the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and onion. Toss with the other half of the dressing, reserving 2 tablespoons. Cut the chicken into thin slices and add to the bowl, then top with bacon and avocado. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, if desired. Serve.